E-Edition | Shopper | Observer/Advocate

News and Sports from Windom, MN and surrounding areas | Windom, MN
The Weather Network
weather sponsored by

Advanced Search
search sponsored by

Road Construction

The Dish
Help Wanted
Area Churches
Area Sports Schedule
Windom Schools
Social Scene
Birth Announcement Submission
Community Calendar
Cottonwood County Sheriff

home : columns : columns
September 26, 2020

8/12/2020 3:20:00 PM
The rules for buying or selling a vehicle

Question: If I sell my vehicle to a private party, what do you recommend I do to protect myself in the event the new owner gets into a crash or is arrested prior to them transferring the title into their name?
Trooper Troy says: If the vehicle you sold is involved in a hit-and-run or pursuit and the driver flees the scene, law enforcement will contact the registered owner in an attempt to locate the driver. The steps below will help protect you as the seller or buyer of a vehicle from a private party.
When you sell a vehicle, you (owner/seller) are responsible for filing the "Notice of Sale" within ten days of the sale. This is located in the lower portion of the Certificate of Title. Doing this in a timely manner protects you and helps law enforcement to have access to the most current registered owner information. It is also helpful to create a receipt that contains the buyer's contact information and date of sale. This will serve as proof of when you sold the vehicle and to whom.
When purchasing a vehicle from a private party it is important that the vehicle title is transferred as soon as possible. Minnesota state law says that you have to transfer the vehicle's title within ten days of the date of sale, other than a sale by or to a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
New residents have a 60-day grace period in which to register their cars, passenger vans, 3/4 ton or less pickups, motorcycles, utility trailers, or house trailers, as long as the displayed license plates are current. If your registration expires before the 60-day grace period is up, you must obtain Minnesota registration at the time of expiration.
For additional information visit: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/documents/buyingorsellingmotorvehicle_just_the_facts.pdf
You can avoid a ticket - and a crash - if you simply buckle up, drive at safe speeds, pay attention and always drive sober.
Sgt. Troy Christianson is an information officer for the Minnesota State Patrol.

Coronavirus National Headlines
ObituariesClassifiedsOpinionColumnsThe DishLegalsContact UsHelp WantedAuctionsLife
Area Classified Ads | Life


Copyright © 2019 Citizen Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. 
P.O. Box 309, Windom, MN 56101 507-831-3455


Software © 1998-2020 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved