E-Edition | Shopper | Observer/Advocate

News and Sports from Windom, MN and surrounding areas | Windom, MN
The Weather Network
weather sponsored by

Advanced Search
search sponsored by

Road Construction

The Dish
Help Wanted
Area Churches
Area Sports Schedule
Windom Schools
Social Scene
Birth Announcement Submission
Community Calendar
Cottonwood County Sheriff

home : columns : columns
August 15, 2020

7/1/2020 3:33:00 PM
The rules regarding vehicles with collector plates

Question: Can a vehicle with a Minnesota collector plate be driven legally in Arizona? Is it legal to drive it to and from both states?
Trooper Troy says: The general rule is states honor the registered vehicle and registration laws from the state the vehicle is registered.
So as long as you're legal in Minnesota you will be fine on your drive to Arizona.
There are several different requirements for "collector" license plates.
• The vehicle needs to be at least 20 years old, or older.
• The owner shall also prove that they also have one or more vehicles with regular license plates.
• The vehicle is owned and operated solely as a collector's item, and not for general transportation purposes.
What are general transportation purposes?
To law enforcement, it means the vehicle can be driven to show it but you cannot use it to go to work, school, shopping and other everyday activities.
It is going to be a judgment call on the part of the officer, but the intent of the law is to only use it for fairs, shows, etc., and not as another vehicle for your family.
An owner is responsible for maintaining the proper registration on the vehicle. Violations include:
• "Improper use of registration" - a misdemeanor (90 days and/or $1,000 fine).
• "Intent to escape tax" - a gross misdemeanor (up to one year and/or $3,000 fine, depending on the situation).
Those using the vehicle for other purposes should purchase the standard Minnesota plates for it.
Below is a list of some of the other common special plates for which owners can apply:
•  Pioneer plates for vehicles made before 1936.
•  Classic plates for vehicles made from 1925 to 1948.
•  Collector plates for vehicles at least 20 years old and made after 1935.
•  Street rod plates for vehicles made before 1949 or made to look like a vehicle from before 1949.
•  Classic motorcycle plates for motorcycles that are 20 years old or older.
•  Original Minnesota plates for any collector vehicle or vehicle 20 years old or older.
Troy Christianson is a trooper and public information officer with the Minnesota State Patrol.

Coronavirus National Headlines
ObituariesClassifiedsOpinionColumnsThe DishLegalsContact UsHelp WantedAuctionsLife
Area Classified Ads | Life


Copyright © 2019 Citizen Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. 
P.O. Box 309, Windom, MN 56101 507-831-3455


Software © 1998-2020 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved