65 F
Saturday, May 25, 2024

What if you paid a scammer? Part 2

As was noted previously in this space, the Federal Trade Commission has offered excellent advice on its website regarding “what to do” suggestions as they relate to scammers.

In this case, the advice centers on “What if you paid a scammer.” All of the following information was provided by the FTC.

Again, this is the type of information worth cutting out of the newspaper and keeping in a safe place — or giving to a friend, or neighbor.

Here’s what to do if you paid someone you think is a scammer or gave them your personal information or access to your computer or phone.

If you paid a scammer, your money might be gone already. No matter how you paid, it’s always worth asking the company you used to send the money if there’s a way to get it back.

You Paid a Scammer
Did you send a wire transfer through your bank?

Contact your bank and report the fraudulent transfer. Ask them to reverse the wire transfer and give you your money back.

Did you send money through a money transfer app? Report the fraudulent transaction to the company behind the money transfer app and ask them to reverse the payment. If you linked the app to a credit card or debit card, report the fraud to your credit card company or bank. Ask them to reverse the charge.

Did you pay with cryptocurrency?

Cryptocurrency payments typically are not reversible. Once you pay with cryptocurrency, you can only get your money back if the person you paid sends it back.
However, contact the company you used to send the money and tell them it was a fraudulent transaction. Ask them to reverse the transaction, if possible.

Did you send cash?

If you sent cash by U.S. mail, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 877-876-2455 and ask them to intercept the package. To learn more about this process, visit USPS Package Intercept: The Basics.

If you used another delivery service, contact them as soon as possible.

Share your scam story
If you have been the target of a scam, your first contact should be the local authorities. Also, feel free to contact us with details (we can keep your name confidential, if you wish).

Send your story to: rahnl@windomnews.com, or call 507-831-3455. Stories will appear in an upcoming edition and in our Thursday website report (or immediately online). By sharing your story, you may prevent others from being scammed.

- Advertisment -