The Windom Fire Department was dispatched to the North Windom Industrial Park Tuesday to contain a gas leak.
Windom Fire Chief Ben Derickson noted that the leak occurred when contractors doing dirt work at the new Cemstone site struck a four-inch gas line. The fire department was dispatched at 12:37 p.m. and was on site until 1:20 p.m.
Derickson said the contractors initially hit a power line that feeds the street lights near the North Windom Industrial Park, then hit the gas line.
Minnesota Energy Resources also was contacted and arrived on scene by 12:50 p.m. By 1 p.m., the gas line was successfully shut off, shutting down gas service to the east side of Commerce Drive. Derickson added that the Fast plant was not impacted because it receives its gas from a different feed.
“A significant amount of gas leaked, but once it is exposed to air, it dissipates pretty quickly,” Derickson said.
Derickson noted Minnesota Energy is currently on site doing repairs. He added that electricity to the street lights may not be repaired for a couple of days.