A variety of community partners throughout Watonwan County will be joining together to host a community panel discussion on the war in Ukraine.
The discussion will be held March 17, from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the Armstrong School Auditorium, located at 500 Third Avenue South in St. James.
The evening will feature five speakers living in the area who will share the impact of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Guest speakers will include:
• Bohdana Batiuk, a foreign-exchange student at St. James High School, from Ukraine.
• Polina Rivera, a nurse practitioner at the St. James VA Clinic, originally from St. Petersburg, Russia.
• Violetta Kyparys-Kruse, current resident of Alpha, originally from Odessa, Ukraine.
• Beni Rete, radiologist at Mayo Health in St. James, originally from Romania.
• Marie Rete, adult basic education teacher in Madelia and St. James, who is a former missionary to Hungary.
Following the panel discussion, a freewill offering for Ukrainian relief will be taken.
The event is being sponsored by St. James and Madelia Community Education, the Watonwan County Library and Multicultural Learning Center, the St. James Chamber of Commerce, Uniting Cultures/Uniendo Culturas, and several area churches.