Schools are closed today and school activities are postponed as Southwest Minnesota braces for a wintery blast that could dump over a foot of snow on the region.
Windom, Mt. Lake Public, Mt. Lake Christian, Comfrey and Red Rock Central all announced Thursday night that school would be closed. WWG schools announced their closure early Friday morning.
As of 9:30 a.m. Friday, only a light dusting of snow had fallen in the Windom area. That is expected to change drastically by early afternoon, as snowfall rates of nearly two inches an hour are anticipated.
Additionally, winter sports events scheduled for today are being postponed. Some scheduled for Saturday also have had start times pushed back.
Postponed sporting events so far include:
- Windom Area boys hockey vs. Morris-Benson Area, not yet rescheduled.
- Windom Area girls hockey at Morris-Benson Area, not yet rescheduled.
- Windom girls basketball vs. Murray County Central, not yet rescheduled.
- MLAC boys basketball at Adrian-Ellsworth, not yet rescheduled.
- WWG boys basketball vs. Hills-Beaver Creek, rescheduled for Feb. 3 as a boy/girl tripleheader in Westbrook. B-squad boys, 4:45 p.m., varsity boys, 6 p.m., varsity girls, 7:30 p.m.
- RRC wrestling quad meet vs. Madelia-Truman, Springfield and St. Clair, not yet rescheduled.
- WML wrestling at JCC Tournament Saturday. Start time for tourney pushed back 90 minutes to 11 a.m.
- Windom Area gymnastics at St. James Snowflake Invite, start time pushed back two hours to noon.