68 F
Wednesday, May 22, 2024

WAHS fall sports meeting is Aug. 10

Windom Area High School will host its fall sports information and eligibility meeting on Aug. 10, beginning at 7 p.m., in the Blue Gym.

All student-athletes entering grades 7-12 and their parents are encouraged to attend.

The meeting will cover basic information and requirements to participate in high school athletics, Minnesota State High School League eligibility guidelines and forms and school eligibility guidelines. Parents will have the opportunity to fill out MSHSL forms at the meeting.

At the end of the meeting, a separate group meeting will be held for each fall sport with the coaches for that particular program.

Fall sports practices officially begin Aug. 16.

Concussion baseline testing

Concussion baseline testing is required every two years for Windom Area High School student athletes. Tests are typically administered to students entering 7th, 9th and 11th grades. Tests may be required more frequently if a student-athlete has suffered a concussion in the previous two seasons.

The testing establishes a baseline, which is used in the event the student-athlete sustains a concussion during their activity. That baseline is then used as part of the return-to-play protocol each program follows.

Concussion baseline testing at WAHS will be conducted on Aug. 13, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., in the school’s computer lab.

If a student cannot attend baseline testing on that day, contact Jeremy O’Donnell at 831-6910 to set up a time.

Athletic physicals

Athletic physical examinations are required by the Minnesota State High School League for all student-athletes. An athletic physical if valid for three years unless the student has sustained a major injury. Typically, student-athletes have athletic physicals performed before 7th and 10th grades.

Physical exams are required to be completed before a student is allowed by practice. A record of the physical exam is required to be kept at the WAHS Office. Students should have their doctor fill out a verification form at the time of their exam, then turn that form into the district office.

- Advertisment -